Wednesday, November 18, 2009

We are net artists...


Recently I learned a term I had never heard before... Okay okay, I don't know how I missed it but...

The term is netart.

What exactly does this mean? Who are the net artists? What do netartists do?

According to Wikipedia it is an art movement started in 1994 by artisits Vuk Ćosić, Jodi.org, Alexei Shulgin, Olia Lialina, and Heath Bunting. Their movement was formed as a takeoff of other avant garde art movements. The netart movement came about within the time and context of the developing internet art movement. Most importantly netart is art by artists who embrace the internet and it's technologies as new artistic medium and focus on finding new ways of sharing the public space of the internet.

Net artists work with and challenge how the Internet is used often going past the form of websites but not exclusive of it. Key to this art form is that the viewer is also a participant in the creation of this work which always remains in process. An example of this being unconventional use of e-mailing or a web forum.

Netart is about collaborative art on the internet, not just art placed on the internet.


As participants in this space together we are all net artists!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I wonder if/how blogging might fit into this movement (I checked out the wikipedia article you referenced, and they don't mention blogs at all). I'm curious about the blog as a medium/vehicle for art and ideas, and I would argue that blogs (like yours!) could totally fall under the umbrella of netart. :)

    ReplyDelete